Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Horrible Boss

After seeing the preview for the movie Horrible Bosses it got me thinking about my former bosses I have had over the years.  I had one particular "horrible boss."  I worked at a local mini golf course during a few of my college years.  The owner's son (my manager) was there every day doing his normal duties, which included blowing the leaves and other debris off the two courses, keeping the grounds clean and nice, working on the games, stocking the coke machines, etc.  One of my main responsibilities was to open up shop in the mornings and count the cash drawer and the money in the safe before opening the doors to the public.  One morning I arrived 15 minutes earlier than I was scheduled for.  I remember that morning very clearly.  I walked in to find the manager counting all the money- you would think this would be normal, but it wasn't.  He was not usually the one to do this.  Only the owners (his parents) or the opening clerk (me on this particular day) did this.  He looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I was already at work.  I looked at the clock which revealed that time was 9:15am.  I was scheduled for 9:30am.  I explained that I was supposed to be there at 9:30am, but traffic was light that morning so I arrived early.  (Why was I even having to defend myself on this matter???)  He then proceeded to scold me for getting to work early.  Seriously?!?!?  I was getting in trouble for arriving 15 minutes EARLY for work.  Yeah- this is the kind of person I had to deal with on a daily basis.  There were many more incidents I had to put up with while working with this company, but that specific time just blew my mind.  And I won't get into it, but there were reasons he was not supposed to be counting the money.  Maybe I should have scolded him for doing MY job...grrrrr...

"If you think your boss is stupid, remember: you wouldn't have a job if he was any smarter."
- John Gotti    ---> 
ha ha- just realized this is a quote by John Gotti....bet he was a better boss than the above mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think he was a 'bad boss' in more ways then one! But his parents were pretty good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think almost everyone got a ‘horrible boss’ story to share. Most of the time, people just put up with it so that they won’t lose their jobs. What they didn’t know is that if they do not do anything to stop the harassment or the bullying, then it will get worse. Good thing you recognized early on that your boss is treating you badly. We all deserve to work in a place where everyone respects each other regardless of their positions.

    ReplyDelete